EYES OF THE MOST HOLY ANCIENT ONE.
113. THE eyes of the Head of the Most Holy
Ancient One are two in one, 1 equal, which ever
watch, and sleep not.
114. Like as it is written, Ps. cxxi. 4: "The
Keeper of Israel neither slumbereth nor sleepeth," &c.--namely, of Israel the
115. And therefore are there no eyebrows nor
eyelashes unto His eyes.
116. This Brain is conformed and illuminated
with three supernal white brilliances.
117. With this white brilliance are the eyes of
118. As it is written, Cant. v. 12: "Washed
with milk," flowing down from the fulness of that primal white brilliance.
119. And with the remaining white brilliances
are the other lights cleansed and purified.
120. The Brain is called the fountain of
Benevolence, the fountain wherein all blessings are found.
121. And since this Brain radiateth into the
three white brilliances of the eye (of Microprosopus), hence is that
called the "good eye," concerning which it is said, Prov. xxii. 9: "It shall
be blessed," or rather that from it dependeth blessing.
122. For through the Brain are manifested the
white brilliances of the eye.
123. And when this eye looketh upon
Microprosopus, all the worlds are (in a state of) happiness.
124. This is the right eye. The inferior eyes
are right and left, two in duplicate colour.
125. In the "Book of Concealed Mystery" have we
taught that there is a Superior Yod, an Inferior Yod; a, Superior He, an
Inferior He; a Superior Vau, an Inferior Vau.
126. Unto the Ancient One pertain all the
Superiors, and unto Microprosopus the Inferiors.
127. They depend not in another manner, but
only thus; for from the Most Holy Ancient One do they depend.
128. For the Name of the Ancient One is
concealed in all things, neither is it found.
129. But those letters which depend from the
Ancient One, so that they may be established, are all inferiors. For were it
not so, they could not be established.
130. And therefore is the Holy Name 1
alike concealed and manifest.
131. For that which is concealed pertaineth
unto the Most Holy Ancient One, the Concealed in all things.
132. But that, indeed, which is manifested,
because it dependeth, belongeth unto Microprosopus. (Otherwise, that which is
manifested, is so for this reason--that it is manifested because it dependeth,
133. And therefore do all the blessings require
both concealment and manifestation.
134. Those concealed letters which hang behind
depend from the Most Holy Ancient One.
135. Wherefore do they hang behind? For the
purpose of establishing the Inferior Yod. (Otherwise, assuredly from the
Skull, from the Forehead, from the Eyes, do they depend. And the Yod Maternal 2
dependeth towards the Inferior Yod.)
Duad equated in the Monad. Compare what I have previously remarked concerning
the profile symbolism of Macroprosopus.
student will observe throughout the Qabalah that great stress is laid on the
power of names, which arises from the fact that each qabalistical name is the
synthesis of a power. Hence to "pronounce that name" is to use that power.
word I have translated "Maternal" is AMH, Amah, with a double Kametz
point. Rosenroth renders it "Yod Membri."
Chapter V: Concerning the Nose of the Most Holy Ancient One