SECOND PART OF THE BEARD OF MACROPROSOPUS.
326. "ARISE, Rabbi Chisqiah, and stand in thy
place, and declare the worthiness of this part of the holy beard."
327. Rabbi Chisqiah arose, and began his speech
and said, Cant. vii. 10: "I am my beloved's, and his desire is towards me."
328. "Who is under consideration here, that 'I
am my beloved's?' and because that, 'his desire is toward me?'
329. "I have meditated, and lo I 1 have beheld
the most excellent light of the supernal lights.
330. "It shone forth, and ascended on three
hundred and twenty-five sides.
331. "And in that light was a certain obscurity
washed away, like as when a man batheth in a deep river, whose divided waters
flow round him on every side from that part which is above.
332. "And that light ascendeth unto the shore
of the deep superior sea, 1 for all good openings
and dignities are disclosed in that opening.
333. "I asked of them what might be the
interpretation of that which I beheld; and, commencing they replied,
'NVShA OVN, Nosha Auan, Thou hast beheld iniquity being taken away.'"
334. He said: "This is the second disposition,"
and sat down.
335. Rabbi Schimeon said: Now is the universe
united together (or mitigated). Blessed be thou, Rabbi Chisqiah, of the
Ancient of the Ancient Ones!
336. Rabbi Schimeon said: All the lights are
congregated together which come under this holy seal.
337. I bear witness that the highest heavens
from the highest (powers) are above me, and the highest holy earth from the
supernals, because now I can see what man hath not beheld from that time, when
Moses for the second time ascended the mountain of Sinai.
338. For I see that my countenance
shineth like, the vehement splendour of the sun, who is about to issue forth
for the healing of the universe. 1
339. Like as it is written, Mal. iv. 2: "But
unto you that fear my name shall the sun of righteousness arise, and healing
in his wings."
340. Furthermore, I know that my countenance
shineth; Moses, neither knew nor perceived (the fact).
341. Like as it is written, Exod. xxxiv. 29:
"And Moses knew not that the skin of his face shone."
342. Furthermore, I behold before me with mine
eyes those thirteen sculptured (forms of the beard of Macroprosopus), and like
flaming light did they shine.
343. And when the second of those
(dispositions) was explained by thy mouth, that same at once was raised, and
conformed, and crowned, and concealed in the concealment of the forms of the
beard, but all the others were reinstated (in outward form). 2
344. And what is more, that one (formation),
whilst it was explained by thy mouth, flamed forth in splendour, and was
crowned with a crown, and seated upon a throne, like a king in the midst of
345. And when the explanation ceased it
ascended, and was crowned with a holy crown, and ordained, and concealed, and
again placed among the forms of the holy beard; and thus with (the forms) all
346. Be ye glad, O my holy companions I for
surely (the universe) shall not be in such a condition until King
Messiach shall come.
the third Sephira, which is called the "sea" in the "Book of Concealed
Mystery." It answers to the first letter H, He, in the Tetragrammaton.
phrase "splendour of the sun, who is," &c., evidently refers to the sixth
Sephira, Tiphereth, or beauty, the splendour of the countenance of
Microprosopus, while the "universe" refers to Malkuth.
Rabbi Chisqiah was speaking Rabbi Schimeon had this vision of the
conformations of the beard.
Chapter XIV: Concerning the Third Part of the Beard of Macroprosopus