SEVEN LAST PORTIONS OF THE BEARD OF MICROPROSOPUS.
880. "THE fourth conformation. This path of
hairs is, disposed, and ascendeth and descendeth in His cheeks into the place
881. "This disposition is fair and beautiful in
appearance, and it is Glory and Honour; and it is taught in Barietha that the
Supernal Honour, HVD, Hod, goeth forth and is crowned, and floweth
down, so that it may be comprehended in His cheeks, and is called the Honour
of the Beard.
882. "And thence depend Glory and Honour, which
are as vestments, and as very precious purple, so that He may be clothed
883. "For it is written, Ps. civ. 1: 'Thou art
clothed with Honour and Majesty.' (Otherwise: In the fourth conformation the
hair goeth forth, and is disposed, and ascendeth and descendeth in the cheeks,
in the places of fragrance. This conformation is elegant and beautiful in
appearance, and it is the supernal glory. And this is the tradition: The
supernal glory goeth forth, and is crowned, and floweth down in the beauty of
the cheeks. And this glory is called the glory of the beard; and from it
depend honour and glory, the vestments of adornment, those magnificent purple
garments wherewith he is clothed. Concerning which it is written: 'Thou art
clothed with honour and majesty, which are the forms of clothing. In this form
of man is he formed, rather than in any other form.)
884. "These are the dispositions denoting the
clothing (of the divine form), and he is more fitly symbolized
under this figure of man than under any other
885. "Also we have learned, that when this
glory (of Microprosopus) is illuminated by the light of the excellent
beard, 1 and emitteth light into the other
dispositions, then it is called 'Bearing Iniquity' on the one side, and
'Passing over Transgression' on the other side.
886. "And therefore in Scripture is it called
by the name of his jawbones.
887. "And in the 'Book of Concealed Mystery' is
the same called Glory, HVD, 2 Hod, and
Honour, HDR, Hadar, and ThPARTh, 3
888. "And unto Tiphereth, Beauty,
appertaineth the title 'Passing over Transgression,' since it is said, Prov.
xix. it 5: 'And it is His Beauty (Tiphereth) to pass over
889. "Also we have learned that we should only
refer that Tiphereth, Beauty, unto the ninth conformation (of the
beard of Microprosopus); as it is said, Prov. xx. 29: 'And the beauty of
young men is their strength.' And therefore also is it (the ninth
conformation) called Beauty; and when they are weighed together in the balance
they are as one."
890. Rabbi Schimeon said unto him: "Worthy art
thou, O Rabbi Abba! for which reason mayest thou be blessed by the Most Holy
Ancient One, from whom all blessings proceed.
891. "The fifth conformation. The hair is
wanting, and there appear two apples, on this side and on that, red as red
roses, and they radiate into two hundred and seventy worlds.
892. "As to those two apples, when they shine
on either side, from the light of the two supernal apples (the cheeks of
Macroprosopus), redness is removed therefrom, and a white brilliance
cometh upon them.
893 "Concerning this is it written, Num. vi.
25: 'Tetragrammaton make His face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee.'
Seeing that when they shine he is blessed by the world.
894. "But when that redness is stirred up (in
them), it is written, ibid. 26: 'Tetragrammaton take away His wrath
from thee;' as if it were said: 'It is taken away, and wrath is no longer
found in the world.'
895. "We have learned that all the lights which
shine from the Most Holy Ancient One are called the former benignities,
because all those lights are the benignities of time.
896. The sixth conformation. The hair goeth
forth as it were in a certain tress, among the hairs in the circumference of
the beard; and this is called one of the five angles which depend from the
ChSD, Chesed, Mercy and Compassions.
897. "And it is not permitted to lose this
benignity, as it is said.
898. Therefore is it written, Lev. xix. 27:
'Thou shalt not lose the angle of thy beard.'
899. "The seventh conformation is that the
hairs hang not over the mouth, and that the mouth is uncovered on every side.
Arise thou, Rabbi Yehudah."
900. Rabbi Yehudah arose, and commenced, and
said, Dan. iv. 17: "'This matter is by the decree of the Watchers.'
901. "Many thousands of myriads stand around,
and are preserved by this mouth, and depend therefrom, and all those are
called (by the general title of) the mouth.
902. "As it is written, Ps. xxxiii. 6: 'And all
the host of them by the Spirit of His mouth.'
903. "And by this Spirit which goeth forth from
the mouth are all those exteriors clothed who depend from that mouth.
904. "And by that mouth, when that path is
clothed many true prophets; and they are all
called the mouth of Tetragrammaton.
905. "And in that place where the Spirit goeth
forth no other thing is mingled therewith; for all things wait upon that
mouth, that they may be clothed with the Spirit going forth therefrom.
906. "And this disposition ruleth over the six
(foregoing conformations), because herein are all things established
907. "And therefore are the hairs (of this
conformation) equal around the mouth, and this itself is uncovered on
908. Rabbi Schimeon said (unto him):
"Blessed be thou, by the Most Holy Ancient One.
909. "The eighth conformation is that the hairs
descend beneath the beard, covering the throat, that it cannot be seen.
910. "For we have learned in the exotic
tradition that neither the throat nor any of its parts (are apparent)
through (the hair). And if in the time of contest (otherwise of
Victory, NTzCh, Netzach 1), during such
contest any portion of (the throat) be visible, then it appeareth like
Strength (Geburah). 2
911. "For we have learned that a thousand
worlds are contained thereby.
912. "This is that which is said, Cant. iv. 4:
'Wherein there hang a thousand bucklers, all shields of mighty men.' And this
'thousand shields' is an Arcanum.
913. "It is related in the 'Book of Concealed
Mystery' that 'all the shields of the mighty men,' which come from the side of
the rigours, 3 are derived from those severities
914. "The ninth conformation is that the hairs
down in perfect equilibrium even unto those
hairs which hang down beneath, and all of them in beautiful arrangement, like
(that of) a brave hero, (of) a chief victorious in war.
915. "Because all the hairs follow those which
hang down, and all are joined unto those which hang down, and each holdeth its
916. "Concerning this it is written, Prov. xx.
29: 'The beauty of a young man is his strength.'
917. "And He appeareth upon the (Red)
Sea, 1 like a beautiful youth, which is written
in Cant. v. 16: 'Excellent (or young) as the cedars.'
918. "Like a hero hath He exhibited His valour,
and this is that ThPARTh, ChILA, VGBVRThA, VRChMI, Tiphereth, Chila,
Ve Geburatha, Ve Rechemi, Beauty, Strength, and Valour, and
Namely, that of Macroprosopus.
must not forget that in Microprosopus are "right and left." Marcy and justice.
Chapter XXXIX: Concerning the Body of Microprosopus in General, Under the
Condition of an Androgyn