Oriental Order of the Palm and Shell

The object of the Masonic Holy Land League, in whose membership the Pilgrim Knights of the Palm and Shell were enrolled, was to encourage researches commenced in 1863 under the leadership of Brother Rob Morris in the Holy Land. These investigations into the traditions and practices of the ancient Craft in the East, were supported in 1867 by contributions amounting to $10,000 and an organization was effected of Master Masons. A ritual was prepared to include various signs, words and ceremonies, obtained by Doctor Morris from Eastern Freemasons.

The instruction was divided into the following parts: Preliminary, Covenanting, Drama, Means of Recognition, and a funeral ceremony for Pilgrim Knights. Rev. Henry R. Coleman, of Kentucky, became Supreme Chancellor of the Order and in 1906 he published at Louisville, for the Society, a guide to the ceremonies and lectures entitled the Pilgrim Knight. Among other items of interest he describes the formation of a Lodge, the Royal Solomon, at Jerusalem, conditionally promoted by Doctor Morris in 1868, but actually by a Warrant from the Grand Lodge of Canada, William Mercer Wilson, Grand Master, and attested by Thomas White, Jr., Deputy Grand Master, on February 17, 1873; the organizing meeting occurring in the quarries under Jerusalem on May 7, 1873.

Brother Coleman says: “Under this authority, a delegate went from the United States to Jerusalem and calling together a competent number of those named in the Warrant, and others, the Lodge was regularly and constitutionally organized and has had many years of prosperous existence up to the issuance of this volume.” The first Degree was conferred at the Mediterranean Hotel, afterwards a Lodge-room was established near the Joppa Gate.

 

         

Museum Home Page     Phoenixmasonry Home Page

Copyrighted © 1999 - 2014   Phoenixmasonry, Inc.      The Fine Print