FOREHEAD OF MICROPROSOPUS.
496. THE forehead of the Skull (of
Microprosopus) is the forehead for visiting sinners (otherwise, for
rooting out sinners).
497. And when that forehead is uncovered there
are excited the Lords of judgments against those who are shameless in their
498. This forehead hath a rosy redness. But at
that time when the forehead of the Ancient one is uncovered over against this
forehead, the latter appeareth white as snow.
499. And that time is called the Time of Grace
500. In the "Book of the Teaching of the School
of Rav Yeyeva the Elder" it is said: The forehead is according as the
forehead 1 of the Ancient One. Otherwise, the
letter Cheth, Ch, is placed between the other two letters, according
to this passage, Num. xxiv. 17: "VMChTz,
VeMachetz, and shall smite the corners of Moab?"
501. And we have elsewhere said that it is also
called NTzCh, Netzach, the neighbouring letters (M and N;
neighbouring letters in the alphabet that is, and allied in sense, for Mem =
Water, and Nun = Fish, that which lives in the water) being
counterchanged. (Netzach = Victory, and is the seventh Sephira).
502. But many are the NTzChIM, Netzachim,
Victories; 1 so that another (development of)
Netzach may be elevated into another path, and other Netzachim may be given
which are extended throughout the whole body (of Microprosopus).
503. But on the day of the Sabbath, at the time
of the afternoon prayers, the forehead of the Most Holy Ancient One is
uncovered, so that the judgments may not be aroused.
504. And all the judgments are subjected; and
although they be there, yet are they not called forth. (Otherwise, and they
505. From this forehead depend twenty-four
tribunals, for all those who are shameless in their deeds.
506. And it is written, Ps. lxxiii. 11: "And
they have said, 'How can El know? and is there knowledge in the Most High?'"
507. But truly (the tribunals) are only twenty;
wherefore are four added? Assuredly, in respect of the punishments of the
inferior tribunals which depend from the Supernals.
508. Therefore there remain twenty. 2
And therefore unto none do they adjudge capital punishment until
he shall have fulfilled and reached the age of
twenty years in respect of these twenty tribunals.
509. But in our doctrine regarding our Arcana
have we taught that the books which are contained in the Law refer back unto
word translated forehead is MTzCh, Metzach; now if a metathesis be
formed of this word by placing the last letter between the first and second
letters, we get MChTz, he shall smite. Hence the first form symbolizes
Mercy, and the second, Severity.
therefore is the divine name of Tzabaoth, or hosts, attributed both to Netzach
and to Hod, the seventh and eighth Sephiroth. as may be seen by referring to
the Introduction, and to the "Book of Concealed Mystery," ch. iii. 15,
310:2 And 20
is H, He, in the four worlds. for H = 5, which, multiplied by 4 = 20.
Chapter XIV: Concerning the Eyes of Microprosopus