TWELFTH PART OF THE BEARD OF MACROPROSOPUS.
448. THE twelfth conformation is that the hairs
do not hang over the mouth, and that the mouth is bare on every part, and that
beautiful are the hairs surrounding it, so that there may be no molestation
there, as is fit.
449. But wherein consisteth the molestation?
Doubtless it is frequently said, "If judgment exist in the place of judgment
(or, "If judgment follow after judgment"), molestation ariseth."
450. Therefore are the hairs of the beard
either (symbolical of) molestation or judgment, while the other parts
appear to (symbolise) mercy.
451. Surely it is said for this reason, because
the breathings forth of the Spirit upon Microprosopus are not molestations.
452. For we have learned that from that holy
and excellent mouth of the Holy of the Holy Ones the Spirit breaketh forth.
453. What spirit? The Spirit which floweth
forth upon Microprosopus, that it may enshroud Him.
454. And with that Spirit are all those 1
veiled which are inferior. And when that Spirit goeth forth, then is it
divided into 37,000 aspects, 2 of which each one
is expanded, but only in its proper place.
455. And he who is worthy to be enshrouded is
en. shrouded by (the Spirit).
456. And therefore hairs are not found upon the
holy mouth, because thence the Spirit rusheth forth; neither is it necessary
that any (extraneous things) whatsoever should be mingled therewith or
457. And that (mouth) is very secret,
because to it nothing adhereth, nor doth anything touch upon it from above or
below; and it is concealed in the secret of secrets, so that it cannot be
458. In fact, it is not formed, nor doth it
exist 1 (properly speaking) in this conformation.
459. And because that Spirit which proceedeth
unto the exteriors, and wherewith the true prophets have been overshadowed, is
called the mouth of Tetragrammaton.
460. But herein, in the Ancient of the Ancient
Ones, is it not made manifest, nor is there any who knoweth His Spirit save
461. And therefore are the hairs of (the
beard) of equal length around the mouth; and this latter is bare in every
462. And herein have our fathers put their
trust, that they might be overshadowed by that Spirit which is developed in
multitudinous aspects, each in its proper place, wherewith all the equal hairs
463. This is that which is written in that
passage of Micah: "Which thou has sworn unto our fathers."
464. And this is the holy and excellent twelfth
conformation, from which, linked together, depend twelve limitations above and
twelve limitations below; even twelve limitations, according unto the twelve
tribes of our fathers.
465. This is that which is written: "Which Thou
hast sworn unto our fathers."
is, the fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh, eighth, and ninth Sephiroth which form
Microprosopus; and the tenth, which is the Bride.
is, 37 in the material, or Asiah = ZL, Zal = profession, LZ, Laz =
diversion of force.
Meaning that in this place it is the conformations of the beard and not
the mouth that are being described.
Chapter XXIII: Concerning the Thirteenth Part of the Beard of Macroprosopus