THIRTEENTH PART OF THE BEARD OF MACROPROSOPUS.
466. THE thirteenth conformation. The hairs
which are beneath the beard hang down on this side and on that in beautiful
and excellent dignity, and form a covering even unto the chest, and nothing is
seen of the countenance and of the places of fragrance save those two
brilliant and beautiful apples.
467. Rabbi Schimeon spake and said: "O how
blessed is his portion who is found in this excellent holy assembly, 1
wherein we are (assembled)! Blessed is his portion in this world and in the
world to come.
468. "For we are seated in that excellent
holiness which surroundeth us.
469. "And all those excellent conformations are
coordinated, and crowned, and placed round about, each in its own (proper)
position, in the holy form of the beard.
470. "And this thirteenth disposition is the
beautiful disposition which exciteth in itself so great desire that the head 2
ariseth towards it.
471. "From it depend all those which are
comprehended in Microprosopus; from it depend alike those which are supernal,
those which are inferior.
472. "This is the form of perfection which
all the dispositions, and which perfecteth all
473. "We have learned by tradition. Those
parts 1 are called QDM, Qadam, 2
ancient days, days first of the first. But those which are found in
Microprosopus are called OVLM, Olahm, everlasting days, or days of the ages.
474. "Also we have learned that those QDM,
Qadam, ancient days, are all conformed in the conformations of the
beard, wherein is composed the Ancient of the Ancient Ones, the Concealed of
the Concealed Ones. But this thirteenth (conformation) comprehendeth
475. "And all the concealed superiors and
inferiors are concealed in it, and they are comprehended in that influx from
which all things emanate; like as it is said:
476. "And that day is not comprehended in them,
seeing it comprehendeth all things.
477. "And in that time wherein is stirred up
the Ancient of Days in the superior conformations, that is called one day
wherein He ariseth to magnify His beard.
478. "Which is intimated in those words, Zech.
xiv. 7: 'One day which is known to the Lord.'
479. "That alone prevaileth over all, that
includeth all things that is called by the known name.
480. "For thus we have learned. In that place
where there is day there is also night, seeing that day cannot exist without
481. "But because in that time shall be the
time of the dignity of the beard, that day is found alone.
482. "It is called neither day nor night, for
it is not
called day except for our (better
understanding of the symbolism involved), neither is it called night
except for the same reason.
483. "And because that form includeth all
things, hence nothing whatsoever is known or seen concerning it.
484. "And from it streameth down the oil of
magnificence in thirteen directions, which flow down upon all the inferiors in
order that they may shine forth.
485. "In that oil are consummated the thirteen
parts of the holy and excellent beard.
486. "And those forms which are in that beard
are disposed and descend in many directions, neither can it be seen how they
are extended nor how they arise.
487. "They are hidden in all things, and they
are concealed in all things; and no man knoweth their place, except Him, the
488. "In their expansion are they all included,
like as it is said:
489. "He is known, and He is not known; He is
concealed, and He is manifest.
490. "Concerning Him it is written. Isa. xlii.
8: 'ANI IHVH HVA 1, Ani Tetragrammaton Hoa,
This is My name, and My glory I give not unto another.'
491. "Also it is written, Ps. c. 2: 'HVA,
Hoa, He, hath made us, and not we ourselves.'
492. "Also it is written, Dan. vii. 9: 'The
Ancient of Days did sit,' that is, He remained in His place, and Him hath no
man known. He sitteth, but He is not found.
493. "Also it is written, Ps. cxxxix. 14: 'I
will praise Thee, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.'"
Because this assembly of ten Rabbis, as I have before remarked, was intended
to typify the ten Sephiroth and their grouping.
somewhat obscure text means this: The number of the parts of the beard are 13,
which are now completed in this disposition. But 13 = AChD, Achad,
Unity, and also AHBH, Ahebah, Love. Hence love of unity ariseth when
the 13 are complete. And the head of Macroprosopus ariseth, because that is
Kether, the first Sephira, the number one, unity.
is, the thirteen conformations of the beard.
hence is Macroprosopus called the "Ancient of Days." Qadam also means the
east, eastward. "Tetragrammaton Elohim planted a garden, MQDM, Miqedem,
eastward (or of ancient time), in Eden." It is worthy of notice that the
Gematria of QDM and OVLM are 144 and 146 respectively; the least numbers of
which are 9 and 2--Yesod and Chokmah, foundation and wisdom.
167:3 By way
of synthesis, as if it were a repetition of the rest conjointly.
are 10 letters in this phrase = 10 Sephiroth. "Ani Tetragrammaton Hoa, This is
My name;" for in this are contained Macroprosopus, Microprosopus and the
Tetragrammaton. ANI represents Microprosopus; HVA represents Macroprosopus and
is also ABA the Father; and IHVH is between them. Ani is 61 and ABA is 4 which
together give 65, which is ADNI, Adonai, Lord; and IHVH = 26, which
added hereunto is 91 = AMN, Amen. Now, apart from the sacred ideas we
attach to Amen, it is well to know that the ancient Egyptians called their
greatest Deity Amen, AMN, Amen-Ra. and Ra = Light, AVR in Hebrew; Amen
our Light, the light of the two countenances.
Chapter XXIV: The Conclusion of the Matter Concerning Macroprosopus